Technology succeeds where it is aligned with what people want. Acceptance is at least as important as the benefits of technology. The success of integrating digital technology into a company's operations depends on the level of employee involvement in its use.
In the case of Robotic Process Automation (RPA), companies are increasingly focusing on employee experience as changes caused by automation, some limitations of the operating model, but also psychological barriers could prevent the adoption of RPA.
The desire of companies for employees to be involved and satisfied, in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, can be achieved with the help of RPA by:
1. Restructuring working methods – The implementation of RPA creates a positive domino effect: repetitive tasks are taken over by robots and automation, allowing employees to use their capabilities for innovation or allocate extra time to interact with customers. RPA restructures the current working way and allows employees to have more freedom to create added value through human qualities: empathy, talent, passion, imagination, etc.
2. Unlocking employee creativity – RPA is not and should not be a panacea for businesses.
However, RPA helps employees focus on more meaningful or creative strategic tasks. They are more involved and focused when they have the opportunity to explore new ways to interact with colleagues or clients, beyond the routine of repetitive tasks.
If companies can offer employees and customers a good experience, by implementing RPA, they can offer them an excellent one.
3. Improving customer relationships – The human brain cannot remain 100% happy and excited as long as it performs routine or repetitive tasks. For example, when entering data into a system manually, errors will occur sooner or later, and RPA reduces errors
by 57% -100%.
In addition, once introduced, this technology gives employees the freedom to interact better with customers, quickly have better quality data, and thus provide them with superior services.
4. Employee retraining – This includes encouraging innovation and continuous research and, at the same time, developing employees' skills to adapt to automation, a new kind of communication, to new ways of working.
Employees in the transition from traditional roles that have been impacted by the implementation of RPA to digitally upgraded roles will benefit from retraining and new opportunities for professional and personal development.
5. Communicating with employees – If employees understand how RPA fits into the company's strategy, the benefits it brings, and what management intends to do with transforming jobs, they will most likely show significant support, which will lead to increasing employee involvement.
6. Adopting a people-centered change management process – The success of the RPA implementation will depend on the quality of the change management processes used.
A good change management process is comprehensive and carefully considers human factors, ensuring that people feel valued and protected. Communicating the reasons why RPA is implemented is good to give weight at least equal to emotional factors than rational ones.
With the increasing acquisition of automation tools, many fear a dystopian vision. It has been rumored that automation solutions will replace human-occupied jobs and be driven by robots/machines.
While digital transformation efforts sometimes involve layoffs and change, employees tend to overestimate the threat because, in essence, automation targets repetitive parts of tasks that are usually not at all satisfactory.
It is becoming increasingly clear now that automation will also stimulate the emergence of many new jobs, including completely new job categories.
For leaders to maximize the positive psychological impact of RPA on teams, implementation, communication, and collaboration between the company and employees are necessary. The success of digital transformation initiatives requires a key success factor: engaged employees.
The right partner for RPA implementation must be able to guide you through all stages of the project. Haven't decided on a partner yet to automate processes in the company? Contact us to learn more about how we can help you.
* * *
About Future WorkForce
Future WorkForce is a company specializing in business process automation.
The company's mission is to transform human potential and help organizations grow.
Competence, trust, innovation, and passion are the values we uphold in everything we do. We believe in people and their aspiration for personal and professional fulfillment in their desire to accelerate their potential.
Recently Future WorkForce is the only company with 100% Romanian capital, which has become UiPath Certified Professional Services Partners, joining the few companies' elite groups with this status globally.
Please find out more about us at www.fwfcompany.com.